Yes really. Sometimes our lack of motivation comes from our addiction to the things we love. Coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, and red meat. These things increase our dopamine levels and then leave us always looking for our fix. When we don’t get it we become lazy, indifferent, weary, slow-moving and lethargic.
So how do we get back to our natural state and back to wanting to reach our goals and feel great doing it?
Well there a few things you can do to increase your dopamine levels naturally and leave you feeling vibrant without the negative side effects.
- Exercise. It’s a given isn’t it? Exercise is one of the most underutilized methods of making us feel better. I like gentle stretching, yoga or hiking with my dogs.
- Power poses can make you feel more confident in as little as a couple of minutes. Stand up straight hands on hips for a few minutes. Try it out and see how your feel.
- Eat dopamine enhancing foods like dark chocolate, If you buy good quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content, fish… the classic brain food, nuts and seeds.
- Write yourself a contract. When we make a commitment to ourselves and write it down we are more likely to do it.
- Get outside and into nature. Guess which colour provides the biggest boost in energy and motivation? The colour green. So get outside and drink up those delicious green smoothies!
Detoxing and then introducing rebuilding foods that are going to help you stay on track, is always in my opinion a great place to start. Oh yes, and of course a great coach to get you there 😉